Total Pageviews

Friday 7 March 2014

My thoughts on Froch v Groves at Wembley.



May 31st, for most just another weekend, but for any sports fanatic a chance to watch one of the most anticipated Boxing match ups in many years. For hardcore pugilists they will know that actually we had a highly anticipated match up last year when Floyd Mayweather went in the ring with 'Canelo' Alvarez but this wasn't the British domestic clash the UK crowd have craved over the last few months.

Since Carl Froch picked up a some what controversial win over George Groves last year, fight fans have unleashed an onslaught of outcry towards Eddie Hearn and his team to get this rematch setup for the new year. Well we wait no more, as conformation rolled in through February that 'if its a rematch you want', 'its a rematch you have got' and this week we saw the announcement of Wembley stadium being the venue of this encounter.

For many a huge shock, I admit I even had to look twice as I thought the men would return to Wembley Arena, but no, it will be the first ever Boxing event held at Englands home of football. Talk that tickets may not reach maximum sales have started, with Hearn aiming towards 75 - 80,000 plus tickets to be sold. This may seem like a tall order from Froch's promoter, but I think the tickets will be brought up in an instant, especially with the amount of promotional work going into this rematch.

I can't say that buying a £40 ticket to sit way up with the gods offers a huge amount of appeal, especially considering you will be watching only 2 men in a ring, and not 22 men on a pitch. But I have experienced the atmosphere that can be generated inside Wembley, and  I must say it has the ability to make this a very special night.

I however will probably be watching, analyzing, craving the fight at home, its just a shame I cant fit 80,000 fans inside my 4 walls. This will truely be a match to remember, I have my predictions and ideas of how this fight will unfold, but for know I will wait and update you all slightly closer to the fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment